Sunday, June 15, 2008

FTF Winter Series Round 1. Chum Creek

With only 39 riders total for the day it was a small field that lined up in A grade. Possibly the reputation Chum Creek has or the Eastlink Ride snorefest kept people away but this made for a great days racing. Minimal people on course made passing and the "straight up mate" climb a lot easier.

This was my first XC race in the Yeti Jersey and I'd brought the 575 along for a laugh.

An uphill start through a grassy paddock and we were away. As usual I was slow to get rolling and hit the first climb in 7th. As we zig zagged our way up I could see the Trio of Joel "Big Dog" Read, Rohin "Aussie" Adams and Scott "I would have but my back wheel fell out" Liston stretching their lead away from me.

Thanks to a small lie down by Andrew Choma I moved up a position and in usual style decended onto the back of the next group of 2.

Passing Jason Jackson and Matthew Molan up the only fire road climb I moved into 4th and thats where I stayed.



I did manage to catch Rohin and Scott by the last lap, with some noisy encouragement from Ross Sanelli I was on their wheels at the last single track turn, only a wide left hander onto the grass and a crappy grassy climb to the finish. Apparently Joel Read had been Big Ringing this section all race but for me it was all over when we rolled onto the grass.


Rohin Second, 2 seconds later, Scott 3rd, 2 seconds later, Ben.... Not bad for riding a 6inch travel trail bike with 2.35 tyres......I had the lockout on all day. Ha Ha Ha


The bike was awesome, its been a while since i raced XC on it and can't wait for the ASR Carbon.


Big thanks to the Fatties crew for putting on the race for minimal people, No thanks to Joel for smashing us all and leaving the 2 trees in that i hit my bars on every lap. Cheers Champ.





No Photos unfortunatelty, saw a few cameras but haven't found any pics. All i got is one of the 575 on a "secret trail"..... one day it'll be ready...


1 comment:

Ash Thomas said...

hey, I know that trail....