Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Tyres and Thorn Bushes

Since getting an ASR my 575 has been left in the corner a bit. So, to give it spruce up I decide to try some new tyres.
Maxxis tyres have been my tyre of choice for a few years now. Larsen TT, High Roller, Crossmark, Ignitor, Medusa, Rendez(the tyre that doesn't exist according to maxxis.com) even some Minion DH tyres.
The new tyre to try is called Ardent, its a large casing 2.25 all mountain tyre. Perfect for a long travel XC bike. The only drama is it doesn't come in tubeless. So its back to tubes....

Straight away these tyres look the goods. Fast rolling centre strip and wider spaced side knobs for traction. Lean over on the footpath and you can feel the change in tread.


On the trail these tyres are great. The centre strip rolls fast and hooks up well, lean over and it bites into the trail. I had a set of 2.35 Ignitors on before and found them a little squirmy in cornering. The lower profile knobs of the Ardent keep the bike in control through corners and drift time is super controlled.


SO much super cool drift it was sure to get me in trouble.....
Yep, i rode off the trail and into a thorn bush.
Boo.
Now I'm a bit scuffed up on the lower legs, as usual

Worst bit was fishing myself out of the thorns, every move meant more jabs. Plus my rear tyre got a thorn in it. First flat in years and my spare has an extra hole. Time for a little bit of MacGyver work.



Awesome. Gets me to work, just.....

1 comment:

Ash Thomas said...

http://homepage.fcgnetworks.net/jwarren/seth/tires/reviews/psycho.gif

Has tyre design almost done the full circle? Don't they look kinda like Tioga psychos from back in the day?? Drift is word of the day!!