Sunday, April 18, 2010

Marathon Nationals

well... not the best day for me but thats life and racing. Looking back it probably wasn't a smart idea to race a brand new bike one day after finishing the build. More due to setup than anything else.

I found out that the saddle i'd put on(SDG Yeti in white, limited edition) was not comfortable. The drink bottle cage i used was impossible to get the bottle back in.

And i really wasn't familiar with how the bike handles.



But, really the issue wasn't bike it was rider. cramping early in the race and struggling to climb even the basic fire roads. I went backwards and decided to have a roll around to finish.



No luck there either. after the first section of Walking trail there was a click coming from my chain. New chain, new everything so something was up. Stopped at the feed zone to fuel up and fix the issue. Broken chain. Hmmm lucky. Quick link installed, water in and off we go.



decent, water bars, awesome, feeling a bit better, turn left onto walking trail, flick through a corner and BANG. Clipped something with my pedal went down, hitting a tree with my lower back(got a nice bruise too)



This was the end of my race. 70km in. Got back on the bike and my back wheel is sprung. Buckled. won't rotate through the swingarm.



Took me half an hour to walk and carry the bike back up to the feed zone where i stayed till i could get a lift back.



Tough day. Tough race. I'll be back next year tho....

No comments: