Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nemesis Marathon PreRide

Monday was spent on the bike. Headed up to Avoca with Rohin and Grover to preride Rohins marathon course. Given last years epic fail by me it would be good to actually finish it before the race in a couple of weeks.





The boys, on our way with about 90km to go and close to 3000m of climbing.



Last year it was tough, plenty of climbing and the endurance walking trail single track was a suffer fest. The school that built the track "back in the day" didn't follow no IMBA guidelines. This year however will be different. Work has been done over the winter months and plenty of new switchback sections made to avoid having to ride straight up the hills.





Sadly my climbing legs had been left on the couch and as i slowly ran out of gears this was my view on the climbs for most of the day....




The one respite, flat road, its over pretty quick tho and back to climbing.



It wasn't all bad, with the ASR5 as my bike of choice the extend descending that comes with long climbs was super rad. KM of flowing 4x4 trail with almost perfect waterbars to launch off. Some sections of the course begged to be sessioned with some fatter tyres and maybe a set of knee pads just in case. Drift, Launch, Drift, Clench. So good, made the schelacking i was taking on the climbs worth it.





Only 20ish km to go... I didn't get any more photos as all my energy was directed at the pedals and keeping my chin up.


Total ride time, 8 hours. many of the spent waiting for me I suspect... Bit of riding to be done I reckon...

No comments: