Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More From Alex

A Week In Warsaw

After the basic living of our shack we had a pleasant surprise in store for us for a change. The flat in central Warsaw turned out to be clean, modern, comfortable and spacious enough even for two extra short-term lodgers. On Tuesday we said goodbye to Melanie until the Worlds, and also AJ.....off to France to ride in the Hexagonal VTT TDF (see his blog for more details).


We had been told about a marathon style race to be held on the weekend. A local race team paid our entries and got us and the bikes to the race about 3 hrs north of Warsaw. It was mostly on forest roads, but these are often either soft or very bumpy, so it wasn't an easy ride.


I opted for the half-distance (51km) which was a 1hr 50 race. I managed a 3rd overall, which was great for the confidence. I was a little pissed off with the first place, as 5km from the end we had managed to get away together. After I had got onto him he motioned me to take a turn, which I did. He then attacked me straight away. I got onto himagain, and sat. He again motioned me to take a turn (the cheek!).We were getting caught by the next bunch, so I realised I needed to do the turn or we'd be caught. Once again as I did a turn he attacked and this time stayed away.....a little short on etiquette!!!


Alex

No comments: