Sunday, February 7, 2010

Competition Stage 3 Sterling Valley.

Sun Morn. Rocky 4x4 track to a narrow horse track that climbs dense rainforest. At the top another rocky 4x4 track leads to an awesome single track decent. Rocks, roots and mud. 14km.

A fast start along rocky 4x4 saw Sid T off the side with a puncture. This was the story of the day for a few of the top riders. Quickly the 4x4 trail turned upwards and got narrow. Riding "tempo" I caught a few faster riders and managed to overtake.

In the course notes it warns of large unstable rocks when the track points down. I took this as a green light and cranked the old dh skills up leaving my chasers behind. Mackin the downs the track turned back onto the narrow horse trail and some of the sweetest tech sections. Passing Ben Mather(flat) then AJ(flat) i was havin a ball.

Plenty of rocks and roots. A couple of times i lost momentum and had to take the safer option and run. Mud also featured in this stage and one section while it looked solid, it quickly swallowed my front wheel. Stopping the bike dead and throwing me over the bars. After digging myself out of the bog it was back to pinning the d's. At the bottom we came out onto fireroad and headed for the finish. Turns out this stage I came 3rd in Open. Awesome!!

No comments: