Thursday, February 11, 2010

Competition Stage 6 Granville Harbour.

Mon Arvo. Rough coastal 4x4 track. Rocks and sand. Some creek crossings. 22km

The start of the stage was the dirt road climb out of Trial Harbour then we turn onto the 4x4 track that follows the coast upto Granville harbour. This time the climb wasn't so tough and i stuck with the lead bunch onto the turnoff.
As we got onto the 4x4 track things heated up a bit and i chased. Trying to keep in front of the guys i'd been riding around in other stages. The track we were on was like a technical dual track. Lots of rough bedrock with washouts, creek crossings, loose rocks, deep sand etc... perfect for me.

I could see the group stretching out on the winding trail and what looked like miles ahead was Sid smashing it off the front.

I settled into a good rhythm and seemed to be catching 2 riders up ahead, one Torq rider and one Specialized rider, who on being passed decided to pull the finger and passed me back. Oh well. At this point something was going on with my gears. I was down to about 4 usable options per chainring. Heaps, but not the nicer climbing gears. Turns out the gear outer had popped out of the endcap and jammed. Toughen up and press on. There wasn't much climbing. Lucky i wasn't stuck in the DOG.....

Somewhere early on i'd lost my drink bottle and was relying on my internal water stores to get me to the end. The sun was harsh and i could feel it burning my arms.
Finish line was up a short climb.
Happy to get some liquids in after 22km of dry mouth...
One more stage to go!!

No comments: